Here are 15 great web apps both me and @aaires liked, followed by the technology they were built with:
– Delicious – mod_perl, HTML::Mason, and MySQL
– Twitter – rails+joyent
– Monster Jobs – Java
– WordPress – PHP
– Dokuwiki – PHP
– Flickr PHP+MySQL+Perl+Java+Apache+Shards+Memcached+Squid+Smarty+etc
– Youtube – Python+Apache+Linux+MySQL+psico+lighttpd
– piclens – C++ + Actionscript 3
– Amazon – C++ + Perl + Mason + Java
– Picnik – Actionscript 3
– Pandora – Actionscript 3
– Aviary Phoenix – Actionscript 3
It seems that a great web app doesn’t depend on the technology because everyone is using something different. Is this a fallacy?
I can hear you ask: What criteria did you use?
* Slick UI and look and feel (Aviary, etc)
* Great content and usefulness (youtube, delicious)
* Usefulness (flickr, monster)
* Modularity and capacity to extend (WordPress)
* Great concept (Twitter)
Next week I’m going to be in Portugal for a week. If anyone wants to get together drop me an e-mail or call. I’ll be arriving on Sunday and staying in Portimão until Wednesday, and then in Lisbon until the following Sunday.